Saturday, April 19, 2008

DMX in Madison


I was walking back on State Street from a job interview, when a stretch white Hummer limo pulled up in front of the Overture Center. About five young guys got out of the car including one guy I thought looked like the rapper DMX. I was tempted to get closer to see this guy, but there were swarms of homeless people trying to talk to him, and I was dressed up. So I would have looked ridiculous. But then I thought it probably wasn't DMX anyway because his appearance isn't very distinctive, I hadn't heard any of his music since middle school, thought maybe he was in jail for animal abuse, didn't know why he would be in Madison when we barely have a hip-hop radio station, didn't think he would have enough money to be riding around in a limo with a posse, and I hadn't heard any advertisements for any performance. But I was wrong. I forgot about the incident until one of my friends was listening to DMX, and I told him that I thought I waw him. We looked on the internet and saw that indeed he performed at the Orpheum last week. About 400 people showed up, and the event might have lost money. The event wasn't really advertised except on facebook. The article I read said that hip-hop is stuggling in Madison because everyone is too afraid that something violent is going to happen at these performances.
I met someone at the serf who met him and he said he was "really nice."
This is my first and probably last post of a celebrity sighting.

1 comment:

Rodney Burayidi said...

Wow. I can't believe DMX only brought a crowd of 400. That's really sad for the Madison scene. It's funny though because Madison isn't even close to a rough city. The violence is just ridiculous.