Sunday, April 13, 2008

Collaborative View of Rap Music

I was listening to "100 Million Dollars" by Birdman, Young Jeezy, and Lil Wayne, and I was going to do a celebrity news type post about Lil Wayne because I think he's cool and my friend claims to know him personally. So I was reading about some of the songs he came out and read about one of his songs "We Takin' Over," that he made with a bunch of other artists like Fat Joe and Akon. The article said that the video for this song is a rip off of " Hypnotize" which came out over a decade ago.
Rappers have always built upon each others songs. Often, it's not even subtle. For instance, this song they say "cash rules everything around me" which are the exact lyrics of Akons other songs. Some people think that rap music is unoriginal for this reason, but personally, I think rap music is more interesting when artist's develop a style and take it as far as it can go. It is easier for their style to be popularized when the same lyrics show up in different songs.
As for the videos, the similarities are pretty obvious. I think "We Takin' Over" is a cool video, but it has nothing on "Hypnotize." I don't know if Cash Money Records has a fued with Bad Boy Records, but maybe this video is a statement that they own the rap game now.

No comments: